CIA, Chile and the Murder of Hormon

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Oct 9 09:46:59 PDT 1999

Jeffrey St. Clair:
> Document Implies U.S. Role in Chile
> By George Gedda
> Associated Press Writer
> Friday, Oct. 8, 1999; 1:50 p.m. EDT
> U.S. intelligence may have played an "unfortunate part" in
> the death of an American journalist at the hands of Chilean security
> forces in the days following a 1973 military coup in Chile, according to
> a declassified State Department document released today.
> The document released today relates to the killing of freelance
> journalist Charles Horman. He was apprehended at his home about a week
> after the Sept. 11, 1973, coup and transported to a stadium where
> suspected leftists were harbored in the chaotic aftermath of the coup
> that landed Pinochet in power.
> Horman was the subject of a 1982 movie, "Missing," which suggested
> American complicity in his death and drew vigorous objections from State
> Department officials, including Nathaniel Davis, U.S. ambassaodr to
> Chile at the time of the coup.

Thomas Hauser, in his 1978 book _The Execution of Charles Horman_(from which the Costa-Gavras film was adpated, I believe), points out that US never held post-coup Chilean gov't responsible for Horman's death. Hauser, whose account points to US foreknowledge of and likely ordering of the execution even as he goes to great lengths to avoid stating that as a conclusion, nonetheless quotes Horman's father Ed in the penultimate chapter:

'I have spent four years of my life investigating the death of my son. Reluctantly, I have reached the conclusion that the government that the government of Chile is being shielded from blame for a very simple reason. If the finger of guilt is pointed at them, they will point it right back at Washington. Our own Embassy was responsible for Charles's death. His life was sacrificed to cover up American actions in Chile.'

...'unfortunate part' my ass, about as unfortunate as US role in destablizing Popular Unity government, planning for and assisting in coup, murdering Allende and thousands of other Chileans, detaining and torturing people in National Stadium in Santiago, supporting Pinochet and military dictatorship... Michael Hoover