Steel Mills

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Oct 9 18:24:51 PDT 1999

The single best book on the decline and fall of the American steel industry in John Hoerr's The Wolf Finally Came.(Pitt) An obscure, but, fun book if you like conspiracy theories was written by Penn State prof Dale Hathaway; I can never remember the title of Hathaway's book and I'd have to look it up.(Penn State).

The three best sources of nuts and bolts steel industry information are New Steel magazine(formerly Iron Age), 33 Metal Producing, and American Metal Market. If you have any economics or business training these three magazines can provide you with enough facts to draw your own conclusions. You too can be an expert steel analyst!:o) These magazines have websites and subs are free.

If you need to know about processes in the steel industry, the classic is The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel; formerly published by U.S. Steel.

Steelabor a publication of the United Steelworkers of America is good for current information on the trials and tribulations of Steelworkers. I also recommend visiting our website http://www.uswa.org/ for all the up to the minute details.

Tom Lehman