oppression

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 11 09:30:01 PDT 1999

kelley wrote:

>since i've been censored on lbo and since doug, yoshie and charles are
>subbed here i shall take the liberty of doing a yoshie. i do not intend to
>address this issue further, but i am incensed to have been censored,
>particularly since this post is not in any way whatsoever inflammatory. to
>think that it is is to promulgate sexism by thinking that it's simply wrong
>to talk about it. as i say below, i may be wrong in my claims about what i
>perceive as sexism. but that does not deserve the responses i've been
>treated to: 1. being ignored, belittled, made fun of and now 2. censored

I was away for the weekend, so I missed all this.

Kelley was not censored. She posted something to the list from one of the many addresses she used, and it was not the address she's s*b'd under. Majordomo bounced it to me, as it does all submissions from nons*bscribers. I don't have the list set up to send posts to me for approval; my only moderating strategy is to ask people to cool it if things get out of hand, and boot the occasional malefactor. Otherwise, anything goes.

God knows I have my disagreements with Charles Brown, but I thought calling him sexist was pretty inappropriate to the situation and said so. This listmom role doesn't come easily to me, since I don't like policing speech, but I thought things were getting too hot for discursive health.

Apologies to the m-fem'ers for bringing this over here.

Doug