[fla-left] Bloody execution photos draw gamut of responses(fwd)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Oct 11 10:08:33 PDT 1999

From enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu Mon Oct 11 09:00:02 1999

> 2) It's bloody expensive (~3x more than simple incarceration)

As I understand it, the reason CP is so expensive is the

lengthy judicial review process that it involves.

Including an *automatic* appeal upon conviction.

If so, lifetime incarceration would appear "cheap" because

many accept it without a fight to avoid the maximum penalty,

CP.

No, it would appear "cheap" even in states that have no provision for CP.

The only reason to mention how expensive it is to have the State kill someone under the ruse of Justice is to counter any "I don't want my tax dollars used to feed, clothe, and house this murderer" from the pro side. That is, it's not a good reason to get rid of CP per se, it's just a myth debunker.

A repeal of CP would make LI the maximum penalty, and all

(or substantially all) the judicial expenses associated

with CP would apply to LI, plus the expense of lifetime

incarceration.

Interesting theory. The data doesn't support it, but thanks for playing anyway.

/jordan