capital punishment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 11 11:15:24 PDT 1999

[this was addressed to the listowner rather than the list]

From: DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:07:53 +0100

>> 4) It leaves no room for appeal and thus denies due process

>this contradicts your (2). There seems to me to be quite a bit of scope
for
>appeal, in light of the time between conviction and sentence, tho this has
>contracted in the past ten years, more in some states than others.

not true. (2) was about appeals between conviction and execution, while (4) is about appeals after execution.

>> 5) It's cruel and unusual

>(a) is irrelevant;

I fail to see how the fact that "it is cruel" can be regarded as irrelevant to a question of justice.

>> 7) It inflicts punishment on survivors of the deceased who weren't
>> convicted

>Another example of victim erasure; what about survivors of victims?

Is the implication that being a relative of a victim gives you the right to have someone killed on your behalf, but that being a relative of a murderer gives you no rights to prevent this? "Another example of victim erasure" is altogether too slick here.

>> Maybe there's more; I didn't give it more than about 20 seconds of
>thought.
>> /jordan

>You did all right.

>mbs

I thought jordan did rather better than alright, and only missed:

9) It feeds the worst and most unedifying elements of the human character, specifically those elements that would make an otherwise mild-mannered policy economist say "I think it's a pity his fucking head didn't explode".

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.

_____