[fla-left] Bloody execution photos draw gamut of responses(fwd)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Mon Oct 11 13:12:20 PDT 1999

Jim wrote about the death penalty:
> I don't think you can automatically make the equation
> left = anti, right = pro.
I think no marxist would make any absolute statement regardless of any circumstances.
> Lenin pleaded with his comrades to keep the death penalty, feeling that
> it was an essential for the state, having opposed the Tsarist use of it.
Jim, do you have to invoke the authority of comerade Lenin here to back your point? Anyone knows about the backawardness of Russia at Lenins time and the extraordinary situation of the Bolshevik revolution. But arent we are discussing here the death penalty in developed societies?
> I would never trust the state as it is presently constituted to execute
> people, but I do think that the mainstream 'anti' argument has some
> flaws.
Could you elaborate, what those flaws are? Johannes