food stamps? was Re: [fla-left] Bloody

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Oct 11 17:48:44 PDT 1999

> kelley wrote:
>
> >know. food stamps weren't the result of leftist struggle. there was
> some,
> but most of the program is the result of the growing ind. ag lobby. they
> saw this as a way to subsidize purchase of their products.

I've not had to time to read all this thread, maybe someone already mentioned this, but if not, food stamps are also a way to boost agricultural workers below living wages without the agri business having to contribute. They can continue to pay low wages and their workers don't starve in front of their eyes. Food stamps subsidize the agricultural industry.

Marta