Good News: AFL-CIO Gets A Clue on Political Spending

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Oct 11 19:20:23 PDT 1999

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Nathan Newman wrote:

> It would be interesting to see how these plans intersect with the
> reorganization of the CLC program. Is this program going to create its own
> structures or work through reconstituted CLCs?

In my experience as a union honcho, I'd say it's a more complex issue. I think the renewed emphasis on organizing, plus the training of new folks and the buzz over unions in general, is starting to translate into real resources, is all; the content (money for grassroots projects) is probably more important than the form here. Realistically, we need a strong political commitment from unions, and then we also need strong Left parties with roots in those unions; one can't do the job of the other. Doug plugged the Labor Party; I'd also put in a good word for the Greens, who are doing good things locally. Join either if you can, and make a difference, because (as Brecht put it) this world needs it.

-- Dennis