Who pulled my bloody chain? (re: oppression and food stamps)

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 12 13:27:43 PDT 1999

Brett wrote:

>I'd like to kindly suggest that this thread not be continued on the full
>list. If you have more to say to each other, please do so offlist.
>
>I'm not trying to be judgemental. I missed the beginning of this whole
>incident, so I have no opinion on the issue other than a hope that any
>damaged relationships can be repaired. But I am tired of the squabble.
>The list is much more interesting when Charles and Kelley are discussing
>East Timor or the death penalty or Hegel.

There are probably several good reasons to take the thread offlist. But I don't think reducing what's happened on it to some trivial squabble, less interesting than the Death Penalty or Hegel, is one of those good reasons.

"Interesting" is a detached choice of words, as if these interchanges haven't occassioned reflection on your own (past or future) behavior here. I don't mean you personally, just mean to echo Angela's point of a few days ago that it's ridiculous to presume that because this is a list where racist and sexist discourses are not privileged that the list isn't pervaded by forms of racism and sexism from which any of us are immune. These recent interchanges bring home once again just how differently sexism and racism play themselves out, reflecting where/how very different kinds of buttons get pushed for those on the receiving ends of each. Yes I know we all already know this in the abstract, but it's when these differences are played out in the particular, above all between voices you've come to know and respect and whose behavior you can't therefore easily dismiss, where the reality of those truisms we all know so well generate things to ponder more.

like Brett, I hope any damaged relationships can be repaired,

--M