[fla-left] Bloody execution photos draw gamut ofresponses(fwd)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:31:29 PDT 1999

>The great crisis of the liberal theory of the law came with the 1977
>decision of Gary Gilmore not to avoid the death penalty. Gilmore shocked
>liberal society because he said that he had been sentenced to death and
>so should die. This was unintelligible to most commentators, because
>none of them could imagine a situation where someone would willingly
>give up their lives.

[I posted a reply to this many hours ago, but it seems to have disappeared, so here goes again.]

It would seem that there are certain individuals who are indeed interested in inveigling society to kill them so they can prove that society is, at base, as nasty and violent as they are. As a somewhat related point, has anyone here seen the 1962 movie Billy Budd, based on the Melville novel of the same name? I can still recall the look of triumph that the sadistic ship's master of arms John Claggart (Robert Ryan) showed as he was dying, after he had successfully taunted seaman Billy Budd (Terence Stamp) into killing him -- thereby corrupting the utterly naive and innocent Budd, who is ultimately hanged.

Carl