Oops and Wiranto

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Wed Oct 13 10:10:12 PDT 1999

Meant to pop this in with that last post.

I see the powers that matter within Golkar have got Habibie to invite Wiranto as running mate (not without a little internal dissent - there'll be pressure on Wiranto to resign his commission, for a start). No surprises there.

I see also that Golkar has squashed the inquiry into Soeharto's dealings. I wonder if this had anything to do with Habibie (whose name, it is speculated, might have featured boldly in such an investigation) doing the right thing by the current holders of the Golkar strings? If Golkar get away with this, Wiranto will be president in all but name, I reckon. And I wouldn't be a leftie dissident or a seccessionist then for quids.

I see also the Dayaks are kicking up another fuss in Borneo/Kalimantan. Hot spot number X to the Nth power, eh? And Megawati's supporters are hitting Djakarta's streets now that it suddenly seems possible that her impressive popular vote might matter nought when it comes to the parliament's choice of a president (you'd have to think twice before voting against Wiranto while he's watching, wouldn't you?).

If so much human trauma weren't in the balance, this'd be great viewing.

Cheers, Rob