Rhetorical Gestures (was Re: Spivak sez...)

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 13 17:43:25 PDT 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:52:24 -0700 (PDT) Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> wrote:

> For one thing, Kant is the first philosopher to really wrestle with
> the notion of human rights and the national-juridical foundations of such
> in capitalist society...

Except for Locke (1632 - 1704). I mean, you left out Johnnie Locke's Two Treatises of Government (1689) in favour of Kant (1724 - 1804) because you hate the English, right? - recognizing that the "Konigsberg Kickers" could sweep the "Oxford's Oxtails" ...

I see that you've qualified this all with capitalism... so maybe I've been outsourced.

ken