Spivak sez...

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Oct 14 07:11:38 PDT 1999

Doug wrote:

>At her talk the other night, Gayatri Spivak said that one reason that
>Eagleton (whom she said she considers a friend, adding, "with friends
>like that...") and all the other male reviewers have been so hard on
>her is that she refuses just to write about India and women, but
>trespasses into the big boys territory - class, labor, value, the
>international division of labor, etc.

Sounds like Spivak has been studying the collected works of Eddie Vedder and Billy Corgan; that is, the school of popular, widely influential, far-from-underdog intellectuals and artists* who trumpet their own (usually imagined) oppression, the rhetorical goal being, of course, to point to their daring and nonconformism. I think it's also amusing when people rebut criticisms of authenticity with protests of authenticity.

Eric, who's been away for a few weeks and who's, it seems, missed quite a bit

*calling Corgan and Vedder "artists" is a hell of a stretch, but you know what I mean