An Indian take on "globalization" and kakistocracy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 14 08:39:13 PDT 1999

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> For now here's an interesting article from India on an
>aspect of the economy we don't hear much about from the WTO, economists and
>many others.

Actually that's not exactly true. "Corruption" is one of the obsessions of the World Bank these days. Go to their website <http://www.worldbank.org>, or if you're impatient directly to the search page <http://www.worldbank.org/search.htm>, and do a search for "corruption" and you get back 300 hits. They spin it differently from the Times of India article, of course. But the WB and other orthodox sorts would like to make a sharp distinction between crime and the normal operations of capitalism, a distinction that more radical sorts might want to think twice about.

Doug