Union sues IMF

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Oct 16 04:16:01 PDT 1999

I was with those comrades in Taegu last Friday, when they made the announcement. Although at first blush it appears a legalistic distraction from the class struggle that is still playing out in very forceful ways in Korea, the particular context was an extremely interesting, still-nascent, anti-IMF alliance of petit-bourgeois nationalists (harking back to a "national debt redemption movement" based on a 1907 anti-Japanese IMF-type squeeze on living standards), plus the old National-Liberation (pro-N.Korean) student movement, plus a few of the People's Democracy class-struggle militants. The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions showed up to make inputs into the conference and support the bank workers, and although the new leadership is somewhat more predisposed to corporatist deal-making, the overall feeling I got was that enough radicals remain in key union positions that this anti-IMF sentiment will grow ever stronger. But it will be crucial for the KCTU to ensure the anti-IMF sentiment continues to mature, and that it can soon be turned against Kim Dae Jung's neoliberal government. A new workers' party is forming to that end. A very exciting place!