Hate crimes

Sat Oct 16 13:14:28 PDT 1999

Charles Brown wrote:

>>> jf noonan <jfn1 at msc.com> 10/15/99 05:11PM >>>

>>In any event, I'm completely opposed to hate speech laws so that's
>>not what I would be chastizing them about anyway.

>Charles: How did I know that ? :>0

The details in Charles's original post on this thread all concerned cases in which simple enforcement of "ordinary" law also got those guilty of hate speech. I don't give any great priority to freedom of spreech in the abstract -- but I give considerable priority to containing the police power of the bourgeois state. Hence, in so far as it is useful to limit certain speech freedoms (such as hate speech) I prefer to do it by direct action rather than by supporting additional power for the cops -- an additional power which willl be used selectively against leftists, as anti-pornography laws in Canada have been used to suppress gay and lesbian speech.

Charles: Canada has anti-hate speech laws too. As far as I know, they have not been used against the left.

CB