Sandstone Capitol of the World

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sun Oct 17 11:47:50 PDT 1999

According to local legend during the Great Depression people who had been thrown out of their homes lived in the 19th century sandstone quarries that are located in the woods behind my house. I could see how this could be. There are rock shelters and overhangs that look like they once may have been walled up or lived in. Also, I'm pretty sure there are photographs of people living in the quarries!

I'm sure there must be a quarry dweller or two alive and it would interesting to listen to their memories of life in the quarries.

Amherst sandstone comes in both the brown and gray varieties. It is known as a building material and because of its very fine grain is prized by butchers, woodworkers and woodcarvers for its use as a sharpening stone. Also it doesn't have the negative characteristics of Arkansas sandstone; Arkansas sandstone will collect the metal particles of the tool being sharpened, where as Amherst Sandstone will not!

Tom Lehman