Prison Legal News, was Re: prison class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 17 14:35:22 PDT 1999

With attention for a bit focused on prisons from Mike and Ronnie's fine posts, I would like again to beat the drums for what I think is one

of the finest journals published in the United States, *Prison Legal News*, edited by Paul Wright and Dan Pens. A one-year subscription is $15 for prisoners,, $25 for individuals, and $60 for lawyers and institutions. The address is

Prison Legal News

PMB 148

2400 NW 80th St.

Seattle WA 98117

The lead article in the current (Oct. issue) by Dan Pens is entitled "Insanity, Brutality and Fatality: Florida's X-Wing Marks the End of the Line." It contains a sidebar, "Death Row Eulogy" by William Van Poyck, written of his co-defendant, Frank Valdes, who was "stomped and beaten to death in his X-Wing cell by a large group of Florida State Prison guards."

The journal contains many articles directly addressed to the legal problems of prisoners, but the light those articles show on prison life in the United States make them interesting and important for anyone concerned with the U.S. criminal justice system.

Carrol

P.S.: Those who have money to contribute to left causes could do well to send some of it to PLN.