Gitlin's 'Yes' Echoed Among Leftists

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 17 16:12:16 PDT 1999

In message <518B8516EDC0D011BE3F00C04FD4EE5A1AA7DA at smtp.fair.org>, Seth Ackerman <SAckerman at FAIR.org> writes

> Could you elaborate, please? I thought NLR was pretty firmly against
>NATO's actions in the Balkans, even in Bosnia.

[Sorry Doug, I am way over limit, here]

NLR #196, Nov 1992, Branka Magas 'The Destruction of Bosnia', attacks 'the left' and Western governments for standing by and doing nothing while Serbs rape and pillage Bosnia. The implication is clear: the Serbs are pathological and intervention is the answer.

At this time Magas and her partner Quintin Hoare are both on the editorial board. Both are litigious and vituperative champions of first Croatia and then Bosnia.

NLR 199 May 1993

Robin Blackburn writes on the Break up of Yugoslavia. Under the subhead 'Bosnia's problematic Move to Independence' he writes, depreciating 'The Bosnian declaration of independence was predicated on the view that intervention by the "international community" - that is the governments of the Western powers - was both desirable and likely.'

(Still a fudge, as the editorial precis' 'Blackburn argues [the need for] a new and supportive order in which the United Nations is enabled to become independent of the rich nations and the Nato powers.')

By this time a much slimmed down editorial board has no Magas or Hoare on it. -- Jim heartfield