Autonomy Against Capitalism

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Sun Oct 17 22:47:21 PDT 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Sam,
>
> I'm not clear about the point of this post. Is it an expression of your
> politics? Do you think this theory of autonomy is one progressives
> should be interested in? Why did you post it? Is it your critique of
> Raz? If so, why do you select him out of a thousand authors
> out there to critique? Did you draw him in a lottery?

Well, what do *you* think, that's why i post these things. Autonomy is one way one of criticizing capitalism. Robert Paul Wolff wrote a neat little book called *In Defense of Anarchism* where he takes this approach. Besides Rawls and Nagel, Raz is one of the best left-liberal philosophers around.

Do you think personal autonomy is important or is it just another bourgeois concept invented by naval gazing academicians? Sam Pawlett