The Origins of Environmentalism

frances bolton fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Oct 18 11:38:46 PDT 1999

Michael Perelman. wrote:

>Is it fair to say that prior to the 1850s that virtually no writings
existed
>concerning environmental problems, other than what was found in literary
>sources?
>
>--

Your subject line and question are asking different questions, I think. Are you interested in environmentalism or environmental problems? I'm not sure the former requires the latter. Depending on how you're defining "environmentalism", you could turn to writers such as Vico, St. Francis, Linnaeus, Gilbert White, Plato... At any rate, you might find interesting chapters one and two of Donald Worster's *Nature's Economy*. Robert Pogue Harrison's *Forests: The Shadow of Civilization* is also very food--his book is a cultural history of forests and absolutely a wonderful read. My short answer to your question is, "No."

Frances