Rhetorical Gestures (was Re: Spivak sez...)

Mon Oct 18 11:00:36 PDT 1999

>>> "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> 10/18/99 10:40AM >>>
>Charles: I'm from Philadelphia. I read some Benjamin Franklin. In _Capital_
>Marx says the "celebrated Franklin" got the labor theory of value correct (
>As I recall beyond Ricardo to Marx's view). Franklin was a natural
>science experimenter in electricity; and he united theory and practice as
>a successful bourgeois revolutionist. Franklin owned presses too. He
>founded the Philosophical Society that still exists in Philadelphia.

Certainly no one celebrated Franklin as much as Franklin did. IMO, he can be credited as the father of public relations on the strength of his relentlessly self-promoting autobiography alone.

CB: Please understand me. The above was written in response to advocates of reading Kant today. What I mean is that Kant was no more progressive than Franklin and Jefferson. All three have been superceded by Marx , et al.

CB