Habermas & NATO (was Re: Hate crimes)

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:43:04 PDT 1999

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

> To be honest, I really don't understand Habermas's
> [tentative!] support of the NATO bombings. And I don't
> understand Zizek's call for an armed outside military
> presence. I really don't.

Habermas ain't that radical, my friend, so I'm not terribly surprised. Zizek is from Slovenia, which was directly attacked by the Milosevic regime, so you'll have to excuse his occasional bout of Realpolitik. If some cheap thug was shelling your suburbs, you'd be calling for peace-keepers, too. To his credit, Zizek knows that the NATO war sucks, too. Sometimes, there are no good alternatives in a given conflict, just rival gangsters gunning for market share.

-- Dennis