Fight Club fascist? (was Re: NLR, Branka Magas, & Against the Current (was RE: Gitlin's'Yes'Echoed Among Leftists)

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Mon Oct 18 18:03:47 PDT 1999

>I don't agree with Carrol that NLR is getting dull & trivial; there's
>always lots of good stuff in there. It is, though, not much of a
>"Marxist" journal anymore. Robin Blackburn has become enamored of
>pension fund activism; edit board member Tom Nairn has declared
>himself a nationalist and pro-capitalist; and edit board member Alex
>Cockburn has buddied up to Christian nutcase Larry Pratt.
>
>Doug

I agree with Doug; the July/August issue had a good piece on Nietzsche, which I thought of after seeing the film Fight Club.

Many critics are saying that Fight Club is fascist, but I don't buy it. (most of these critics are the flabby, liberal type; rare exceptions were Rolling Stone critic Peter Travers, who liked it, as did the New York Times's Janet Maslin). For me, fascism means talk of the Fatherland and scapegoating of the "weak" and "diseased" and "parasites." A merging of state and business leadership, together with an ideology of belligerent nationalism. Blood and soil. I can't remember the last film which everybody pilloried as fascist. It's really weird.

The outlook is more punk, with guys pathologically reacting to their circumstances by beating themselves up, but the point doesn't seem to be to beat up the OTHER guy. Rather, it's some sort of regression to a primal communal event (makes me think of slam dancing), analogous to the group therapy sessions at the beginning of the film. No doubt it's pathalogical; the film is arguing that contemporary culture is pathalogical (there's no mention of blacks, gays, immigrants or Jews) not decadent - another fascist codeword. The guys who join the clubs have shit jobs and aren't dealing very well with their masculinity along the lines Faludi has described in _Stiffed_.

The fight clubs transform into an underground organization that attacks corporate America. They attack a corporate art sculpture and franchise of a latte chainstore (a "commodification" of the once-bohemian cafe). And they blow up credit card companies. (the credit card, you'll remember, Doug has insightfully described as a wonderful tool of social control and a conservtizing force http://eng.hss.cmu.edu/bs/32/henwood.html.)

Is it that the violence equals fascism for the movie reviewers? Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, et al. could be showing us our future. Reviewer Janet Maslin writes: "[Fight Club] means to explore the lure of violence in an even more dangerously regimented, dehumanized culture. That's a hard thing to illustrate this powerfully without, so to speak, stepping on a few toes."