prison class

Fabian Balardini balardini at angelfire.com
Tue Oct 19 07:51:04 PDT 1999

Hi Michael,

your message/letter touched a sensitive spot on me and just by reading it although I don't know you or have never seen you, I feel brotherhood :) I feel that what you are doing is what every radical graduate student or professor of economics (or anyother social science) should do, teach and learn from the working massess. Unfortunately, most students and professors of economics no matter how radical they say they are, they driven by careerist goals instead. As I get older, I become more convinced that there are so many things we can do, to make a change, at the very grassroots like the work you are doing or the work that many other people do without requiring any special skills or money. For example, here in NYC there is an organization helping out the homeless who have volunteers walking the subways all day with food and drinks helping out and making people aware of the situation, asking for donations. Now it takes a very special person, especially in this society and in this city, this real jungle, to volunteer their time to walk around subways helping make things better. Work, btw, in a communist society will re! quire an almost natural sense of voluntarism, a drive to help others for the pleasure of it. It is about time we start practicing this and preaching less...

Thanks for your great letter, Fabian