Doing a Kant (was Re: Rhetorical Gestures)

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 17:40:44 PDT 1999

Your preoccupation with knocking down Jefferson's reputation is entirely relative to the historical judgement on Jefferson: that he was a decisive figure in the struggle for American independence. That struggle was a noble one which advanced the cause of human liberation.

When there is a campaign to rubbish the historical reputation of James Heartfield or Carl Remick, then we will know we have made a difference. But this is just adolescent mewling, the oedipal revolt of the pygmy son against the historical father. If you or I have the liberty to discuss this matter, that is in no small part due to Jefferson.

In message <19991020172903.11253.qmail at hotmail.com>, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> writes