World Bank to study K controls

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 21 08:12:52 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

>A definite denting of neo-liberal dominance. But Stiglitz is regarded by
>the chairman of the World Bank as controversial, is he not?

I'm assuming you mean the president of the World Bank, James Wolfensohn here. Wolfie did distance himself a bit from Stiglitz recently, but he rejected Clinton administration pressure (in the person of Larry Summers) to fire him. A Washington Post story a week or two ago said that Stiglitz is keeping a lower profile & refusing interviews.

Doug