Oedipal Revolts (was Re: Doing a Kant)

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 16:12:06 PDT 1999

In message <v03130300b43533827419@[140.254.113.132]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>Carl R wrote:
>>Meanwhile, elsewhere in the thread, Dr. Heartfield sagely diagnoses me as
>>launching an "oedipal revolt of the pygmy son" against that distinguished
>>avatar of human rights, jiveass Jefferson.
>
>That's another reason to argue against psychoanalysis, esp. a substitution
>of pop psychoanalysis for history.

I wasn't aware that there was a first reason to argue against psychoanalysis, but Yoshie seems to take it for granted that there is one.

Had I been substituting psychoanalysis for history, perhaps Yoshie would have a second reason to add to the first (whatever that is). But I am not sure that Carl's subjective reaction to 'jiveass Jefferson' in itself constitutes "history".

As to "pop", better pop-psychology than pop-Marxism, I say.

-- Jim heartfield