disability & work

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Oct 22 12:54:07 PDT 1999

I should have added whether it (Clinton's strategy) will work or not is highly questionable. Private industry has done its utmost to defeat workers with disabilities employment discrimination cases in court. As one law professor put it no group except prisoners fair as poorly. And there is other resistance from business (not to wanting to pay for reasonable accommodations, to give one example). Alot of what we see around the Work Incentive Legislation passing is pure hype.

Marta

Michael,

Clinton made the connection to using disabled people as the "new reserve army of labor" to fight inflation. On his poverty tour Clinton explained

how people with disabilities fit into the macroeconomy, “...there are a couple of options [ways to keep America's economy growing without inflation]. You can bring more people from welfare or from the ranks of the disabled into the work force, or you can go to these areas where you invest in them and you get more consumers and more workers at the same time.”

I'm working on a paper about this very subject now.

best, Marta Russell