American Beauty (was Fight Club)

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Fri Oct 22 11:48:59 PDT 1999

I wanted to get people's reactions to the movie American Beauty, since I have seen that film but I haven't seen Fight Club.

I liked it. But I kept wondering why Kevin Spacey's character was killed (you find out in the first 5 minutes that he's going to die). Was it because he broke out of the usual routine and rebelled against the system? Was it because he took advantage of his daughter's friend? Or was it merely to add something dramatic to the movie to try and make it more interesting to the audience? Usually characters in movies are killed because they did something wrong, and I'm wondering what Spacey did to deserve his fate.

It obviously touched upon the problems of "the American Dream." How it can drain all the fun out of life. How your sense of worth is all to easily tied up with money and success and so forth.

At the same time, it struck me as somewhat unrealistic - what really are the alternatives? Spacey's character is able to break out of the cycle, but only because his wife still works. If she didn't work, or after a while when the money runs out, its back to the grindstone or else. His eventual punishment at the hands of the system isn't dealt with or explored at all.

There is lots more to discuss, but I'll stop rambling for the moment. Hopefully this is enough to get some discussion going.

Brett