Flightless Waterfowl

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Oct 23 01:32:46 PDT 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >OK. So can anyone tell me what the heck the socio-political-cultural
> >significance of Pen2 (Major Katsuragi's strangely Torvaldesque penguin) in
> >"Evangelion" is?
>
> What ever are you talking about?

The Japanese anime series, "Evangelion". Also known as, "Neon Genesis Evangelion". It's a wild and woolly pastiche of the whole mecha genre, with shockjock sci-fi, a Blade Runner-style apocalypse, and other stuff in there which I can't even begin to describe. I've been renting the videos from a local manga store. Tremendously literate, stylish stuff, with some sneaky Euro-registers in there, too. A real work of art. Anyone follow this stuff for a living?

-- Dennis