Roy Bhaskar Interviewed

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Oct 23 01:58:21 PDT 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Fundamentally, though, since practice precedes philosophy, Bhaskar's
> underlabor (indispensable as it has been for me), cannot in itself clear an
> intellectual fog that has descended upon us, for this fog is not simply a
> creation of our erring individual minds -- the fog originates from social
> reality, as Bhaskar would surely agree with me. The point is to change the
> world, and only in our struggle to do so does how we interpret the world
> make any difference.

As Adorno would say:

(1) Philosophy *is* a kind of practice. There are no firsts or ultimate causes for dialectics.

(2) The world is changing itself, constantly, as late capitalism smashes the old mode of production with the weapons of the new.

(3) The point is not to change a static world, but to change the very definition of what it means to change something.

-- Dennis