Flightless Waterfowl

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Sat Oct 23 16:04:46 PDT 1999

Dennis wrote:

>> >OK. So can anyone tell me what the heck the socio-political-cultural
>> >significance of Pen2 (Major Katsuragi's strangely Torvaldesque penguin) in
>> >"Evangelion" is?
>>
>> What ever are you talking about?
>
>The Japanese anime series, "Evangelion". Also known as, "Neon Genesis
>Evangelion". It's a wild and woolly pastiche of the whole mecha genre,
>with shockjock sci-fi, a Blade Runner-style apocalypse, and other stuff in
>there which I can't even begin to describe. I've been renting the videos
>from a local manga store. Tremendously literate, stylish stuff, with some
>sneaky Euro-registers in there, too. A real work of art. Anyone follow
>this stuff for a living?
>
>- -- Dennis

Not yet, but if you think it's possible it seems by far the best option on offer. I'll begin by trying to rent the videos here on the Upper West Side. If I can't find them I guess I'll be reduced to taking the other side of those January calls (sure seems like a juicy premium, but option pricing always mystifies me). And I'd much rather follow "Evangelion" than the indices.

And by the way, Bhaskar and Adorno share a common base in the emphasis of the fundamental and constitutive importance of non-identity relations - that the whole project of reducing subject to object or vice versa, with its attendant 'identity-thinking,' is fundamentally mistaken. Bhaskar uses this notion centrally, and always credits Adorno when he uses the phrase 'identity-thinking.'

But there's not much point in my going on with you about this until I study the videos.

john mage