Colombia and Ireland

Fabian Balardini balardini at angelfire.com
Tue Oct 26 07:56:19 PDT 1999

Hi George, your message is very interesting and echoes the voices of many colombians who are very desillusioned with the whole FARC/ELN strategy and fundamentals. However, to prove that these armies are just "merely expressions of the interests of the burgeoisie and thereby serve different functions in perpetuating the existence of that class" you need to present more concrete evidence which your message doesn't provide. To accusse the FARC/ELN of having a corporatist strategy "They thereby seek to restructure the capitalist state investing it with a colonising capacity --colonisation through a corporatist strategy." without discussing it further (are you referring to their connections to the drug cartels/business?) just makes your statement another opinion without much convincing power. Since so many people can relate and identify with your thoughts, I believe you should be more clear and present more evidence that can make people like myself that are not sure what to make of all this, get a clearer picture regarding all the issues involved in this ongoing armed struggle.

--

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:19:25 George Pennefather wrote:
> [...]
>
>The masses are merely pawns in the conflict between the different bourgeois political interests. The FARC and the ELN are petty bourgeois organisations that ultimately represent the interests of the bourgeoisie --analogous to the Provo IRA. Like the IRA they cannot and do not want to promote the class interests of the masses --however much they pretend otherwise. Like the IRA they are prepared to do a deal with the forces of the state in the interests of establishing a bourgeois settlement. The issue is the price at which they are prepared "to betray their principals" --as some might put it.
>
>The essential difference between FARC/ELN and the bourgeois political forces centred in and around the Colombian state is not the essential bourgeois class interests which each in its own way sustains. The difference is a more derivative, perhaps even more superficial, one. FARC/ELN express bourgeois interests in a way that is more accommodating to the petty bourgeois masses on which their support is based. Consequently a bourgeois settlement must be one that includes conditions that in some partial way satisfy the needs of the peasant masses. This compromise, like the Good Friday Agreement, must be dressed up in bright colours in order to deceive, confuse and diffuse the Colombian masses to render it more possible to foist compromise on them. The success in implementing such a compromise allows the leadership of FARC/ELN to establish itself within the institution of the state in such a way that it can preserve its petty bourgeois interests as an integral part of the state.
>
>This is what Sinn Fein/IRA in Ireland have been striving to achieve. They are hoping that their petty bourgeois interests are sustained within the structures of the British state in a Northern Ireland Assembly, the Northern Ireland Executive and other state and para-state bodies. Consequently the economic sustenance of Sinn Fein/IRA petty bourgeois interests will shift its support (through its existence as a armed organisation) from economic sources that may have been less than legitimate to more explicit economic support in the state. In this way it will have succeeded through compromise in shifting the economic source of its existence from outside the imperialist to inside it. In this way this petty bourgeois interest will have been successfully colonised by the state --by imperialism. The corporatist imperialist state will have further integrated interests that had existed outside it into its very imperialist statal being. In a previous period this same state largely colo!
nised the British working class in a similar way --it cannibalises all that challenges it from the outside.