Rattlesnake U. School of Back Scratching

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Tue Oct 26 19:36:15 PDT 1999

Dear * *,

Gee, I actually got an e-mail from the * *.

* *, I've seen Albert Gore maybe two or three times in person. I may have even shook hands with him some years ago. So if you ever want to shake hands with a hand that may have shaken Al Gore's hand let me know. I'm sure it would be a big thrill for you!

Now getting down to serious business. Vice President Gore is from Tennessee and he is a cousin of Gore Vidal one of my favorite writers. Cousin Gore Vidal describes Albert Gore as a typical bozo Southern politician or something like that; you could drop Gore Vidal a note in Italy or New York for a clarification. That's where he spends most of his time rather than down on the old plantation in Tennessee.

I've never been in Tennessee and I don't think anyone in my family has set foot in Tennessee since the Civil War. So, I've been thinking it's time to let bygones be bygones and make a trip down to Tennessee and see what the place looks like. That way I might be able to get a handle on the character of Albert Gore. You never know I might run into an olde pal of his and get some real insight. Of course since Gore and I are about the same age quite a few of his old pals are probably dead, so they won't be too much help.

I was unhappy with Albert Gore's role in the NAFTA treaty. I wrote to Gore and let him know that I thought he was being a hypocrite in backing NAFTA which is an open sewer treaty. It galled me that a guy who had written and talked about the environment and conservation would come out and support a toxic mess like the NAFTA treaty.

I wasn't too impressed with Albert Gore's recent comments about former Senator Bradley who is a slick big business Ivy League basketball type. Gore said that Bradley is left of center and out of the mainstream of the Democrat party because he supports some wishy-washy form of universal health care. It's not like we don't have somewhere between 40 and 50 million Americans who don't have any health insurance, if you know what I mean Vern.

Now we can look at the really dismal side of things, the Republican candidates and their assorted kook spin-offs. I mean George Junior "death wish" Bush. What a humanitarian, got a problem, kill it! Hey, but he speaks Spanish. Wunderbar! Then there's Pat "wave the Confederate Flag" Buchanan, this guy takes things to a new level of absurdity. Of course he may only be saying what a lot of people are thinking. In his case thinking can be dangerous.

I'm presently waiting for former Senator Gore to send me my train tickets for the Chattanooga choo-choo, so I can meet him on the verandah for mint juleps, and we can discuss my views on the future course of the nation.

Your humble servant,

TL