litcritter bashing and the academic factory

oudies at flash.net oudies at flash.net
Wed Oct 27 06:03:12 PDT 1999

i don't know who said that? in the social sciences this nonsense is frowned upon. ethnography in sociology is waaaay marginalized. feminist thought too. habermas is ridiculed as is critical theory in general. and i ain't getting too far, i'm sure, with pubs on habermas, feminism, or my ethnographic research. the ASA just had a big war because an elected member of the editorial committee for its flagship journal resigned his position. he was elected largely because a significant proportion of the ASA membership agreed that the flagship journal was too narrow in terms of the subject matter and methods featured i much of what it published. [99/9% positivist quant and historical work; burawoy is a critical theorist, critical ethnographer who critiques both positivist and traditional ethnography and grounded theory]. When the editorial committee's nominations for candidates to the editor's positions were rejected [with no reasoning given] and the editor's position was filledby people handpicked by the head honchos at the ASA , this is suggests to me that, at least in one discipline, there are some serious differences as to what is fashionable, what is respectable, what will get you jobs.

now, i'm not saying that the marginalized methods and theories in my discipline are any less influenced by the powers that be. anthonyt giddens made one helluva name for himself rejecting positivist, hypothetical-deductive research and traditional social theory. but look what he's doing now! the ratfucker. i simply reject these characterizations of academia as some sort of monolithic, univocal machine that operates in the interest of capital in some sort of straightforward way.

that said, i've read ange enough to know that this isn't what she's up to per se.