litcritter bashing and the academic factory

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Wed Oct 27 12:36:37 PDT 1999

Hmmm well, the distinction between "up" and "down" is taught to us in primary school, and up quarks don't point in the opposite direction to down quarks, so I guess Murray Gell-Mann's a worthless faker too. And superstrings aren't strings, so that's bad news for Hawking. And indeed, imaginary numbers aren't imaginary, which is bad news for someone else. I've never understood what's up with science-spod types who refuse to learn a few technical terms, apply themselves and accept some metaphorical language when it's someone else's field, but demand limitless indulgence in their own.

dd

>writes:
>>> Thus, Lacan is
>>> busted for "confus[ing] irrational numbers with imaginary numbers,
>>> while claiming to be 'precise.'" Golly, doesn't that prove that
>>Lacan
>>> is a worthless faker!
>>
>>I pondered this question and came up with the following answer:
>>
>>Yes.
>>
>>This is a trivial distinction and anyone failing to grasp it can't
>>have
>>anything interesting to say about mathematics. Anyone who does fail to
>>grasp it and then says something about mathematics under guise of
>>authority is a worthless faker. QED.

>I would second that. It may well be that Lacan had some interesting
>and worthwhile ideas such as his notion that the unconscious
>is structured like a language. But his use of mathematics as
>a means for bolstering his intellectual authority when it is obvious
>that he knew little about the subject (the distinction between irrational
>numbers and imaginary numbers is one that the average high
>school student is supposed to be able to understand) suggests
>that he was also something of a charlatan. Sokal & Bricment
>made telling point in their book when they found many of these
>pomo thinkers on the one hand were often quite critical of
>scientism but would on the other hand attempt to reinforce
>their own intellectual authority through the use of examples
>from mathematics and the natural sciences. In other words
>they are guilty of the very sins that they charge others with
>committing.

Jim Farmelant

>--
>bill

___________________________________________________________________________ _____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

IMMEDIATELY on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.