litcritter bashing and the academic factory

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 27 18:29:42 PDT 1999

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:29:27 -0500 Carrol Cox
> <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, the main intellectual crime in fudging one's use of
> > "imaginary" and "irrational" numbers is a crime against history.
>
> I love it, a crime against history.

O.K. It is a crime against the human effort to understand human history and thus humanity. It is a crime against the systematic study of humanity. I forgot that with those who live by quibbling rather than thinking a word is always whatever they want it to mean on any given occasion. In my original, "history" meant the discipline of history, the study of history.

Carrol