Well-Regulated Militias, and More

Mr P.A. Van Heusden pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 05:55:23 PDT 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Michael Pollak quoted:
>
> >Our Constitution, envy of the world
>
> Ok all you non-USers out there - do you envy our founding document?

You must be joking - its an outdated wreck. It offers virtually no useful rights (with the result that the US Supreme Court ties itself in knots trying to use the Constitution in the modern world), and offers at least one rather dubious one.

Peter

P.S. Now, if you want to see a bill of rights, have a look at the one in the South African constitution - http://www.constitution.org.za/b34b/b34b_2.htm - with the exception of some annoyances (like the right to private property), its not bad for a capitalist constitution. The fact that it has made very little difference just shows you what constitutions are worth in a capitalist society.

-- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.