Laurance S. Rockefeller '32?

Thu Oct 28 09:10:02 PDT 1999

> Singer does say human life is not more valuable that animal life. But he
>seems to justify infanticide primarily upon utilitarianism and his definition
>of personhood. He says that infants under 30 days old are not
>sentient beings,
>are not persons (fully human) so therefore it is OK to kill them if it would
>make the parents happy.

But Singer also says that it is not OK to kill animals cruelly, or wantonly, or for no good purpose--and that it is not OK for inhabitants of the industrial core to give less than 90% of their income to the world's poor. His position (which I don't like) seems to me to be a bit more complex...

Brad DeLong