insults & barbs pomo style

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 29 08:44:16 PDT 1999

Steve Perry wrote:

>are you entirely sure you haven't gone native on us?

I'll forego an analysis of that turn of phrase.

>there's a nasty rumor going round that you're soft
>on judith butler.

That's a matter of record, not a mere rumor.

> and your seduction by zizek is a
>matter of record.

Oh yes, completely seduced. But Zizek is quite Marxian in his sympathies, and takes political economy very seriously. (I could tell a little anecdote to illustrate this point, but it'd appear self-serving, so I won't.) He & Butler have gone after each other over the nature of The Real, and they're supposedly doing a Verso volume together that works out these differences. I'd think a lot of self-identified anti-pomoistas would love Slavoj's "leftist plea for Eurocentrism."

Doug