litcritter bashing and the academic factory

Fri Oct 29 12:09:53 PDT 1999

"Crime" is a term from jurisprudence. OK for other disciplines to use it. Like "law".

For example, racism is a world historic crime against humanity.

CB

Who was it said, "I gotta use words when I talk to you".

>>> t byfield <tbyfield at panix.com> 10/28/99 01:20AM >>>
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:29:42 -0500
> From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> > > Incidentally, the main intellectual crime in fudging one's use of
> > > "imaginary" and "irrational" numbers is a crime against history.
> >
> > I love it, a crime against history.
>
> O.K. It is a crime against the human effort to understand human
> history and thus humanity. It is a crime against the systematic
> study of humanity. I forgot that with those who live by quibbling
> rather than thinking a word is always whatever they want it to
> mean on any given occasion. In my original, "history" meant
> the discipline of history, the study of history.

i'm tempted to ask you what 'crime' meant, but instead i'll waggle a finger at your amazing equation: the human effort to understand human history = humanity = systematic study of human history = discipline of history = study of history.

cheers, t - Who else but God gave humankind this sensuous passion! Love that can spark mere dust to life! Beauty in our eternal Father's fashion! Ecstasy far above earthly greediness & strife! Poetry, uniting All-One, brave, all life! Like a beacon breaking thru dark clouds that pass, your deep embrace, your sensuous kiss! Who else but God can make Love last 1 trillion years of sweet eternities! For when conquered after years of toil, swaet, blood, Love can strike like greased lightning sent by God, to spark mere dust to intense blazing fire & create new Love-faith-hope-guts-strength, as only God inspire! Unite the whole Human race in All-One-God-Faith, as all mankind desire! -Dr. Bronner