You say Saddam, I say Hussein...and the origins of PC

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 30 16:40:37 PDT 1999

J. Barkley Rosser wrote:
> BTW, I have heard it claimed in Madison, Wisconsin
> that the term "political correctness" was invented on the
> very progressive east side of Madison (Williamson Street
> neighborhood, for those of you in the know) as a sardonic
> moniker.

As I'm sure other lbo'ers know, the term "political correctness" has an older provenance than New Left precincts of Madison sometime in the 70's. My understanding is that PC originated in the CPUSA sometime in the 30's to signify adherence to the correct Leninist line.

Michael Pugliese P.S. A good analysis of the Iraqi regime is by the ex-Trotskyist, Iraqi exile, Samir al-Khalil, "Republic of Fear."