litcritter bashing...)

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Oct 30 19:32:07 PDT 1999

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:45:37 -0400 <farmelantj at juno.com> writes:

>>>2. I think you do a disservice to the scientific process to portray
>it
>>>as so
>>>efficient and rational. Science can only be considered rational and
>>>efficient through a process of narrative re-construction.
>
>Writers like Kuhn & Feyerabend in combatting what they saw as the
>inadequacies of the traditional positivist and empiricist accounts
>clearly IMO bent the stick too much in the other direction. Both
>of them underplayed the role of irrationality for the sake of making
>the otherwise valid point that not everything that occurs in science
>is reducible to some algorithm.

That sentence should have read "Both of them overplayed or exaggerated the role of irrationality. . ."

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.