AFL-CIO on the WTO

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sun Oct 31 13:17:07 PST 1999

If I were to survey my peer group, I'm pretty sure that the WTO would be most often explained as being part of the new world order. A new world order run by and for the benefit of the rich, the super-rich and their corporations. A new world order in which we have no place in.

The focus of the unions of the government employees is to protect their own turf. A privatizing, wage & benefit cutting administration on a local, state or federal government level is not in their interest. They are negotiating with government administrations not corporations. This explains their timidity in taking on the WTO and the new world order. These are not service unions negotiating with corporations; these are government unions negotiating with government administrations. This situation is starting to cause problems and the non-governmental unions are getting blind sided by stealth legislation and short horizon administrative actions by both major political parties.

Tom