it's the Science vs. Ideology show

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun Oct 31 23:11:50 PST 1999

this cracks me up. carrol musing about decorum. yoshie contorting into the formulation: there is a "kernel of truth" in all "truly" scientific endeavours because she can't manage to say that ideology is also true, like marx did. jim f. insisting that marxism is a science and, in the same breath, defining science as the control and prediction of natural phenomena when forced to move beyond the tautology of 'science isn't ideology because it's science'.

less amusingly: catherine being accused of false consciousnesss for not agreeing with yoshie's take on foucault. but this of course is already implicit in the guff about ideology as a set of ideas one says 'yes' or 'no' to -- hardly a marxist position on ideology, just plain idealist insecurity being passed off as scientific certainty.

yep, ian, it is "king of the hill-I want the last word bullshit". and a particularly crude version of it as well.

ps, ted's comments on the absolute integrity of foucault's epistemes was about the only accurate comment on foucault i've seen thus far.

Angela _________