Germinal

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Sep 1 07:13:05 PDT 1999

A wonderful film, but even better is the novel itself by Emile Zola. For anyone who has struggled through the ups and downs of an organizing drive, it is one of the saddest and moving novels I have ever read. It's not a happy book but it is a very deep analysis of the role different groups play in both building a mass explosion of activism at the grassroots, and the elements that tear it apart.

--Nathan Newman