DPS Strike--Update for Wednesday

Richard Gibson rgibson at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 1 21:04:50 PDT 1999

Dear Friends,

>The DPS strike held solid today. So few teachers are crossing lines that
the administration stopped keeping a count. The Detroit News, in particular, ran vicious coverage against the strike, mis-characterizing what is really a great deal of parent and community support (unorganized and uncertain as it may be) as massive community anger against the teachers. The News and the electronic media began a red-baiting campaign, aimed at members of a dissident caucus, blaming them and outside agitators for the strike--nonsense. All of the media are attacking the strike as a blow to Detroit, Michigan, public education, children, and working parents--except the NY Times which ran a remarkably sympathetic article.

>Many different groups of teachers and parents are organizing in different
ways. There is a demonstration scheduled by one group on Sunday at 3 at the school center building. There is a planning meeting scheduled for 3 at the Unitarian church on Thursday.

>The traditional Labor Day Festival, which has been stripped of any labor
or political content by the AFl-CIO leadership, is set for Monday. So far, the AFL has not mobilized any support for the strike whatsoever.

the www page asap. Please circulate the URL on the strike: http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/DPScrisis.htm

>The paragraphs below were sent to me today from a Rouge Forum member. Note
that the teachers are on strike against, among other things, standardized exams.

> [...]
>districts in the Detroit area, Detroit teachers ranks 73rd in pay rates.
> b. A strong seniority system. Eliminate any language that wotfid cause
>teacher
> discipline or dismissal based on student achievement on standardized tests.
> c. No reconstitution of Detroit public schools.
> d. No limitation on the use of sick, Family Leave, or personal leave time.
>Drop
> the proposed new attendance scheme.
> e. No increase of the school working day. Restore prep time for teachers
>and student lunch and break times to enhance the quality of what students
>and teachers can do during the class day. f. Actively recruit new certified
>and qualified Detroit teachers. g. Eliminate duty periods.
> 5. Full due process rights for teachers, including the right to appeal
>principals' decisions on disciplines and other matters.
> 6. No reassignment of student grades by principals.
> 7. No strings attached to additional salary steps or pay raises.
> 8. Full and equal benefits and rights for all. DFT members including:
>social workers, attendance agents, psychologists, teacher consultants,
>adult education teachers,
>
> teachers of the speech and language impaired and all ancillary staff; and
>recently hired employees.
> 9. A minimum of one building substitute per 400 students.
> 10. A daily prep for teachers.
> 11. No restriction on qualification for movement on the salary schedule to
>Master's, Master's Plus 30, or Doctoral Schedules.
> 12. A school library for every school with a librarian and computers with
>internet access. Fully stocked library with current materials.
> 13. No so-called merit pay.
> 14. No extension of the school day or school year beyond state requirements.
> 15. No split classes.
>
>These demands were ratified in an open meeting of DFT members, parents,
>students, unionists, and community leaders who support the DFT strike to
>win quality education on September 1, 1999.

>The petition reads as follows:
>
>Petition in Support of the Strike to Win Quality Education
>
>We, the undersigned teachers, students, parents and community members,
>support the just struggle of the Detroit Federation of Teachers for quality
>education and better working conditions. Together we demand, first and
>foremost, smaller class sizes, more and better books, supplies and
>equipment -- including computers -- the arts, music, and other diverse
>educational programs for the students and teachers of Detroit. We demand
>contract provisions for the recruitment and retention of qualified
>teachers, including comparable wages with teachers in the Detroit
>metropolitan area. Only these measures can achieve quality education.
>
>We reject blaming teachers, students and parents for the problems caused by
>the neglect of public education in the city. We reject the attempt to
>stifle real education and teacher creativity through the increased use of

Rich Gibson Program Coordinator of Social Studies Wayne State University College of Education Detroit MI 48202 http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/index.html

Life travels upward in spirals.

Those who take pains to search the shadows

of the past below us, then, can better judge the

tiny arc up which they climb,

more surely guess the dim

curves of the future above them.