Countering bigoted rightwing attack on Free Speech

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 2 15:34:14 PDT 1999

At 05:49 PM 9/2/99 -0400, Nathan Newman wrote:
>What pisses me off is not really Horowitz's viewpoint (which we have all
>heard many times) but the hypocrisy of the guy. Here we have the man who has
>led crusades against political correctness and been part of the movement
>that has denounced the idea that racist language can contribute to a bad
>climate for intellectual community, then turn around and say the word
>"bigot" is a libelous hate crime that everyone in sight should protest.
>
>Horowitz is obviously a mental basket-case given his radical jag from
>Stalinism to authoritarian conservatism - but the pure acting out of
>"political correctness" in attacking another person's speech by someone who
>helped coined the term is almost too perfect psychological projection.

Nathan, his politics is one thing, but that does not give one an imprimatur to engage in name calling instead of responding in the matter-of-fact way to the point he is making.

If you want to know what really pissed me off - Clinton's impeachment proceeding, that is, being lectured by the repugs about abuses of power, sexual harassment etc. - and having to agree with them, and then listening to democrats calling in response to rally behind our commander in chief busy launching a criminal act of war against a pharamaceutical factory in a poor african nation. It seems to set the standard for the right-left exchanges lately. Why did the left-of-the center have to sink so fucking low?

wojtek