Manifesto of the Communist Party

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 2 15:53:44 PDT 1999

> Lew writes:
>
> > Except that neither Marx nor Engels wrote about the Party leading
> > the working class. This would have contradicted their often repeated
> > claim that the working class must emancipate itself. Of course this
> > does not rule out the need for some kind of party organisation, but
> > it does specifically rule out a Leninist type of organisation
> > because that sets up "sectarian principles of their own, by which to
> > shape and mould the proletarian movement."
>
> I agree, and just to add my $0.02US (what is that in the IMF's funny
> money, I wonder), the (translated) text cited says that the
> "communists are the most advanced and resolute sectors of *THE WORKING
> CLASS PARTIES*", meaning that the working class parties constitute
> the communists, not vice versa, as in Leninist vanguardism.
> --
> Curtiss

The question of what a proper relation between intellectuals and the working class may be would emerge with or without a Leninist party, it seems, if that's what people are concerned about. Marx & Engels weren't working-class guys, were they? Neither was Rosa Luxemburg a factory girl. Another question, which is not the same as the above, is one between leaders and the rank & file (a huge problem in _any_ organization of more than a handful of members). Further, it doesn't appear that sectarianism exists because of a particular type of organization. It can and does exist in non-Leninist social movements as well, as far as I can see. I think it is wishful-thinking to imagine that a technological solution -- conceiving a proper organizational mode in abstraction from social & political conditions -- would solve the fundamental question of balancing organizational efficiency/effectiveness and democratic participation just like that. And the question is democracy, isn't it?

Yoshie